Privacy & Copyright
Data Protection – As of May 2016, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect and as of May 2018, this privacy legislation is fully applicable throughout the European Union (EU). The following rules with regard to personal data must be followed: transparency, purpose limitation, data limitation, correctness, retention limitation, integrity & confidentiality and accountability. The owner of this website takes the security of your personal data very seriously and is committed to ensuring that your personal data is securely managed in accordance with the guidelines of the GDPR.
Privacy – The personal information of people believed to be still alive is not public and only visible to registered members of this website. If you do not want information about you or your ancestors on this site or you find incorrect data, please let us know and it will be corrected.
Use of this website is possible without requesting personal information. When this happens (for example name and email address on the contact form), it is voluntary. This data will never be passed on to third parties or used for commercial purposes. At any time, you have the right to request information about the personal data stored, their origin and the reason for use or transfer, as well as the right to rectify, block or destroy this data.
Internet – This privacy statement does not apply to third-party websites that are linked to this website. We cannot guarantee that these third parties will handle your personal data in a reliable or secure manner. We recommend that you read the privacy statement of those websites before using them.
We also draw your attention to the fact that sending information over the internet always involves security risks. Absolute certainty that this data is not accessible to third parties cannot be given.
Most of the cookies we use are “session cookies”. They are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Other cookies remain on your device until you delete them yourself. These cookies ensure recognition when you visit us again and restore some of your preferences (such as the language).
You can change the setting of your browser so that you are always informed about the setting of your cookies and only allow them in certain situations. Disabling them completely will limit the functionality of this website.
Server Log Files – The provider of these pages automatically collects and stores information in server log files, which your browser transmits to us. These are:
- Browser type and version
- Operating system
- Referrer URL
- Host name of the accessing computer
- IP address (anonymized)
- Time of request
These data can not be assigned to specific persons. This data will not be merged with other data sources. We reserve the right to check this data retrospectively, if we become aware of specific indications for illegal use.
Copyright © – The content of this independent website is been provided free of charge. Information that you can see if you are not a member may be copied elsewhere if the source is acknowledged. Information that you can only see as a member may not be published and only used for personal purposes. Due to possible copyright on various media (documents, photo, video, sound fragments), these may only be reproduced with the permission of the webmaster. All material on this website is for informational purposes only and may not be used for professional genealogy advice or other commercial use without reference from the main websites or verification in the local, regional or provincial archives.
Terms & Conditions
User Agreement – To view the data of living people of your own family tree, you must register (become a member), whereby the following rules apply:
- Membership is free.
- You become a member by filling in the registration form.
- The information provided when registering will only be used to assess whether you can become a member. Under no circumstances it will be passed to third parties.
- The webmaster reserves the right to decide who can become a member and which information can be viewed.
- You can only become a member if you have the surname of this genealogy yourself or if you have a direct relationship with it (partner, child).
- As a member you can only view the information of living persons of your own family tree by logging in.
- The definition of living persons is that they are known to be alive or otherwise that the date of birth is more than 100 years or the date of marriage is more than 75 years ago.
- You can at any time request that the data of you or your direct ancestors / family be amended or deleted. If these are not available through public archives, the webmaster will immediately execute this request.
- A member is not allowed to give the username and password to anyone else, unless with special permission from the webmaster.
- The data may under no circumstances be used for commercial applications.
- By registering, members agree to abide by the confidentiality rules and terms and conditions of this website.
- The webmaster can change all or part of the terms and conditions at any time. By accessing this website, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions and liability and must therefore check them each time you visit the site.
Liability – Despite great accuracy, information on this website may at some point be out of date or otherwise incorrect. The owner/webmaster of the site makes no representations or warranties (express or implied) as to the completeness, accuracy or reliability of the contents of the website and the linked websites, nor does the site owner/webmaster assume any responsibility arising therefrom. whatsoever (including from negligence), for errors in or omissions in the content of this website and the linked websites. You can help me correct any errors by sending a comment with your findings.
Data Capture – A family tree can be elaborated in various ways. These family trees have been worked out by first going back in time according to the patrilineal lineage (an overview of someone’s ancestors in the straight male line) and then elaborating these by means of the so-called name genealogy: You always note the complete family of all sons per generation. and of all daughters only the possible partners (and, as a note, the children). If the surname is passed on to the children of a daughter, this branch is also further elaborated. The end result therefore includes all persons who (can) use the surname (Van) Dorsten.
Data Storage – The family trees are stored locally with a genealogy database program. The webmaster uses Aldfear, but this can be done in any genealogy program that can import and export standard GEDCOM files well. GEDCOM is a set of arrangements for recording genealogical data for data transfer, once established by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons. The aim is to have a separate (local) family tree manager for each different family tree.
User Interface – The website has been set up using WordPress (with Astra theme), the standard in website creation, in combination with a specific genealogy program TNG for data management. The management of the website can be carried out by several administrators if desired.
Data Management – The genealogy data is presented on the website through software called The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding (“TNG”), created by Darrin Lythgoe. The data is regularly exported from a local database using GEDCOM files to TNG.